Bill Haberman and Liz Burke, WPRO News
A 91 year old woman is dead after a fire swept through her home in Lincoln's Lonsdale section.
Fire crews were called to 107 Boulevard Ave just after 6:30 Tuesday morning. They found flames erupting from the home. The owner of the home, Henry Barry, also 91, tells WPRO's Liz Burke at the scene that his wife Jeanette died in the fire.
"I never dreamed it would happen like this," Barry told WPRO. He said he was unable to reach his wife upstairs after the fire broke out.
"It's was just so quick," he said.
Officials say when they arrived on the scene they were unable to enter the house because the basement was fully engulfed and the first floor was compromised.
“Eventually we were able to gain entry through the side window, we were able to remove the victim but at that point she was deceased,” says Lonsdale Fire Chief Timothy Griffin. “
Griffin says that a gas leak may have been the cause of the fire but can’t confirm it.
“The fire started in the basement. It doesn’t appear to be suspicious at this time but because of the condition of the house we’ll probably never know because we can’t go in. We’re not allowing anyone to go in there, not even us. We’re not even going in there,” says Griffin.
Griffin says the house is completely destroyed. A bulldozer is expected to knock it down later today.
Health & Wellness
News & Tips for staying fit in the Ocean State
Free, local print & mobile savings
Go Green RI
News & Tips for sustainable living in Rhode Island
RI Pet Center
News & Features especially for animal lovers